Top

Bingham Mills Falls

Bingham Mill Falls is an approximate 13-foot-high, 580-foot-long cascade along Roeliff Jansen Kill in Columbia County, New York.

History

In 1790, Walter T. Livingston started a grist mill called Good Hope Mill along Roeliff Jansen Kill. The area was referred to as Blatner’s Mills, which was a misspelled name from one of the area’s first settlers, Jacob Platner.

Charles Bingham moved there from Connecticut in 1865 and converted the grist mill into a paper mill and erected several houses for his workers. Eventually, the community consisted of a grist mill, two paper mills, a blacksmith shop, a woolen factory, a c. 1857 Methodist Episcopal church, and 20 residences. By 1878. the village had 125 inhabitants.

In 1908, George Leary of New York City began building a hydroelectric power plant along the waterway and by 1928, all the land along the creek was purchased, a dam built, and the Red Hook Power & Light Company was put in operation.

The power plant’s operations were sold to New York Power & Light Company in the 1920s, which later sold it to Niagara Mohawk until it closed in the late 1950s. The dam was torn down in 1965.

Resources

Bingham Mill Falls

Bingham Mill Falls is a 13-foot-high cascade along the Roeliff Jansen Kill.

0

Leave a Comment