Button Falls, privately-owned, has long been a natural attraction in the county. The waterfall is named after John Button who had constructed a grist mill above the falls in 1792. It stood some distance south of a sawmill that had been erected in the same year by Captain Brown. A short time later, Jabez Brown erected a second sawmill along the same stream.
Flash flooding in 1805 swept away Button’s mill, along with the two nearby sawmills.